Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to use the System Clock on Digilent Arty A7-100T in a way as easy as System Reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzzhhh

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
There are two board components on the Digilent Arty A7-100T FPGA development board: System Reset and System Clock, as shown in the board file board.xml:
<component name="reset" display_name="System Reset" type="chip" sub_type="system_reset" major_group="Reset">
<description>CPU Reset Push Button, active low</description>
</component>

<component name="sys_clock" display_name="System Clock" type="chip" sub_type="system_clock" major_group="Clocks">
<description>3.3V Single-Ended 100MHz oscillator used as system clock on the board</description>
</component>
and Board tab in Vivado:
1687785414114.png

1687785718597.png

The System Reset is so easy to use: it automatically shows up in the Block Design diagram and get configured. I don't need to modify the Arty-A7-100-Master.xdc file. Actually, I don't even know where this reset signal comes from. But the use of System Clock is a nightmare. I insert it into the Block Design diagram by manually drag-and-drop it from the board tab. Vivado then forces me to add a Clocking Wizard IP and the icon to the left of System Clock turns orange, like the screenshot above shows. Vivado gives the port a name "sys_clock" as defined in board file board.xml. But if I remove the Clocking Wizard IP because I don't need it, this icon turns white meaning that the System Clock board component is not connected. Now the port sys_clock is a common signal and I have to specify its physical pin connection in Arty-A7-100-Master.xdc file. That works but that's not what I want, so I have to keep the Clocking Wizard IP and run Validate Design -> Synthesis -> Run Implementation -> Generate Bitstream, But I get a long error at the bitstream generation step:

[DRC UCIO-1] Unconstrained Logical Port: 1 out of 52 logical ports have no user assigned specific location constraint (LOC). This may cause I/O contention or incompatibility with the board power or connectivity affecting performance, signal integrity or in extreme cases cause damage to the device or the components to which it is connected. To correct this violation, specify all pin locations. This design will fail to generate a bitstream unless all logical ports have a user specified site LOC constraint defined. To allow bitstream creation with unspecified pin locations (not recommended), use this command: set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks UCIO-1]. NOTE: When using the Vivado Runs infrastructure (e.g. launch_runs Tcl command), add this command to a .tcl file and add that file as a pre-hook for write_bitstream step for the implementation run. Problem ports: sys_clock.

The settings in Arty-A7-100-Master.xdc file does not apply. I'm guessing that's for common signal when I delete the Clocking Wizard IP. Then, I obey the suggestion in the error message by using "set_property SEVERITY {Warning} [get_drc_checks UCIO-1]" command. First I run this command in Tcl Console. Vivado add some garbage in the Arty-A7-100-Master.xdc file but still report the same error. So I add this command in Arty-A7-100-Master.xdc file and thank goodness the bitstream is generated successfully.

But I'm unhappy because I was at first expecting that the use of System Clock board component should be as easy as System Reset. Their entries in either board file and Vivado Board tab are so similar, so why are their usage so different? Specifically, I have the following questions:

1) How to add the System Clock board component without adding Clocking Wizard IP? Even if I connect sys_clock port to some other parts, the icon is white. The System Reset (named "reset") does not require any additional IP core for it to be added into the Block Design diagram.

2) The System Reset does not incur the error message which asks for a specification of FPGA chip pin, but why does sys_clock want it, and why does reset not want it? What's the difference of these two board components?

3) If I have to specify FPGA chip pin to connect to sys_clock, how to do it? I tried uncommenting the following statements in Arty-A7-100-Master.xdc file:
## Clock signal
set_property -dict { PACKAGE_PIN E3 IOSTANDARD LVCMOS33 } [get_ports { sys_clock }]; #IO_L12P_T1_MRCC_35 Sch=gclk[100]
create_clock -add -name sys_clk_pin -period 10.00 -waveform {0 5} [get_ports { sys_clock }];
but it does not work, perhaps because it is only for common signals, not for the special System Clock board component even though its name is also sys_clock.

4) Why the command suggested in the error message does not work in Tcl Console, but I have to add it in the Arty-A7-100-Master.xdc file?

5) How to use the System Clock on Digilent Arty A7-100T in a way as easy as System Reset? I still think sys_clock should be used as easy as reset. What's the difference? If Digilent can make reset so easy to use, it should make sys_clock all the same easy to use too, say, it can be added automatically by auto-connect function in Block Design diagram, there is no need to add Clocking Wizard, there is no need to edit Arty-A7-100-Master.xdc file like reset, and there is no need to add that abstruse command in the xdc file.

I'm using Vivado 2023.1 on Windows 10. Thanks in advance for your (to-the-point) answer.

1. The board may provide you with a single ended clock or differential clock. You MUST add a clock wizard IP whose input is the board clock and output is the clock that will clock your design. That is ONLY how you can provide a "clean" clock to your design.
Why an MMCM or PLL is used, you can easily read in the internet.

2. That is the asynchronous reset to your design from the outside world. You need to synchronize it before using it in your design.

3. The *Master.xdc file mentions the pin to bring in your clock. You should adhere to it. Because it most probably a "clock capable pin" used to bring in the clock in to the FPGA. To bring in a clock through a clock capable FPGA pin is very important.

4. Because it is stupid to enter each design and pin constrain command manually through the TCL console. Writing them as an XDC file and adding it to the project makes more sense.

5. I read this paragraph of yours, and can only laugh, Digilent Arty is not at fault, but your ignorance is.
5. I still think sys_clock should be used as easy as reset.
They are different signals both playing a very important role in a the design and needs to dealt differently. Hence the difference in the way they are used.
What's the difference?
If you are asking the difference between clock and reset? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back