Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

the best ic design layout tools ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mylihua

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
laker techtrans -international

hi

i usa cadence tools ! you usa ...?

i thank .

Besides Cadence,Mentor Graphics is great tool for analog/mixed-signal IC design.

laker is also a very good layout tools.

which one of Mentor's ?
I want to know.

LAKER is good

Hi

you can try Zeni Paragon....user friendly

If you want to learn about ic design and do an academic layout, you can use Tanner's L-Edit layout tools. If you want to do an actual ic design in a profetional way, you should use Cadence's ic design package, because it covers all phases in the design flow of digital and analog design. Notice that cadence package is suitable to ASIC design not FPGA design. In FPGA design you should use Synopsys tools. I did not work with Mentors' Tools, but i don't think it has something else which cadence does not.

Regards,
KH

Cadence tools for layout and most use! Others much harder to get kit for.

khorram said:
Notice that cadence package is suitable to ASIC design not FPGA design. In FPGA design you should use Synopsys tools. I did not work with Mentors' Tools, but i don't think it has something else which cadence does not.

May I ask a stupid question? What's the difference between ASIC and FPGA? Thank you.

A good question. I have to describe the differences as follows:
In FPGA design, you will synthesize the design to the one of FPGA vendor products which have some limitations. The biggest limitation is about timing and speed. If the speed of the design is not important for you, you can select FPGA products to reduce time-to-market and costs.
In ASIC design, you should prepare layout of your design and send it to a manufacturer to manufacture a chip and deliver to you. This kind of design has speed and timing benefits, but time-to-market and cost will be increased.

Regards,
KH

khorram said:
In ASIC design, you should prepare layout of your design and send it to a manufacturer to manufacture a chip and deliver to you. This kind of design has speed and timing benefits, but time-to-market and cost will be increased.

It looks like the ASIC design is same as Full Custom Design. Am I right? Thank you.

isaacnewton said:
khorram said:

It looks like the ASIC design is same as Full Custom Design. Am I right? Thank you.

I think so...

That is almost right. As you know, ASIC stands for Application Specific IC. But the biggest difference is:
In Full Custom desgin, you have to design the layout yourselfs. But in the ASIC design, you can use automatic placement and routing tools to generate layout based on the standard cells.
In other words, ASIC design includes "Full Custom design" and "Semi-custom design".

Regards,
KH

selvaraja said:
Hi

you can try Zeni Paragon....user friendly

Selvaraj, can you give more description of this. Is a downloadable vesion available.

Mentor's ICStation is great tool for Full Custom layout. It's easy to use, customize and integrate to Calibre.

Panda is a good layou tools

I think that ADS is very good and powerful.
it can complete many simulation analysis.

layout tools:

magic, virtuso. L-edit...
anyone use the magic? a good tool for layout!

Anyone heard a layout tool "ICED"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back