Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SystemC will die? Why, can anybody give an explain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am using systemc for last so many years. It is excellent as system level modelling and using those models in verification benches as golden reference adds additional advantage of saving of time and bugless no conversion :). SystemC-AMS is expected to come soon. I have seen that, again an excellent OSCI effort. It depends where u want to use it. Still I think thats the best thing to start from scratch. Only point is that it is quite slow when integrated with HDL and HDL interfaces are not bugfree!!!!. SystemC is supposed to be slow as the library has hierarchical class structure. Thats expected(Since it is not a new language, built simply over C++).

I think that SystemC will remain only for high level modelind and simulation. It has no chance in the near future to be a good HDL.

SystemC has the nice property that anyone can download the OSCI materials for free (including the reference-simulator), compile it on a Linux/PC (using gcc), and get some practice.

However, like other people pointed out, SystemC has a small niche in the EDA/chip-design industry. It cannot exist by itself, because SystemC is poorly suited for synthesis and hardware-implementation. It will never 'replace' true HDL languages (VHDL/Verilog/Systemverilog.)

If used as it was originally intended, i.e. system modelling language, then it can be a tremendous asset to an SoC design-team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back