Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

System to Regulate Temperature

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.f.sanford

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I am trying to build a system using a microchip (pic16f84) to sense the temperature in a vacuform machine and control current to the heating element to keep it a certain temperature. The vacuform plugs into the outlet 120 VAC and the heating element draws about 15 amps, it should be able to get up to 600 degrees. I would really appreciate any help on this

I am having trouble figuring out how to control the ac circuit with the microchip. I found a solid state relay that seems to be adequate, but saw that it only had 100,000 cycle lifetime. That would be just fine, but I was considering using it as an way to control the current. At 50HZ it would not last long. Is their any better way to engage/disengage the ac current?

I have also been trying to find a better way to control the current. Is their some kind of variable rheostat that can handle the ac current and be controlled electronically?

Thanks,
Pat Sanford

Hello,

I am trying to build a system using a microchip (pic16f84) to sense the temperature in a vacuform machine and control current to the heating element to keep it a certain temperature. The vacuform plugs into the outlet 120 VAC and the heating element draws about 15 amps, it should be able to get up to 600 degrees. I would really appreciate any help on this

I am having trouble figuring out how to control the ac circuit with the microchip. I found a solid state relay that seems to be adequate, but saw that it only had 100,000 cycle lifetime. That would be just fine, but I was considering using it as an way to control the current. At 50HZ it would not last long. Is their any better way to engage/disengage the ac current?

I have also been trying to find a better way to control the current. Is their some kind of variable rheostat that can handle the ac current and be controlled electronically?

Thanks,
Pat Sanford

Hello Pat,
I suggest you to use Triac instead Solis State Relay (SSR) to control the power from 120Vac.

try this link for sample
The TRIAC : THYRISTORS

regards
Dian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back