Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] temperature compensation techniques

Status
Not open for further replies.

d123

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

Just curious: Is there any reason not to use e.g. a correctly biased MOSFET's body diode for temperature compensation of another component/subcircuit instead of a leaky Schottky diode (so long as initial 25°C Vf is required voltage level)?

I'm sure that whilst doing a bit of reading a few weeks ago I was surprised to see a power MOSFET like IRF9540 body diode Vf vs Tamb graph showed 100mV Vf drop across temperature (I might be confusing it with another of the multiple datasheets I was reading at that time, admittedly, but 100mV or 1,000mV is not so important wrt the general question), same as a Schottky and much less than a silicon one like 1N4007 or 1N4148 or a BJT.

And, besides NTCs, temperature sensors that do 10mV/°C, etc., what other components can be used/'misused' for temperature compensation? Any personal tips and/or tricks and favourites, or warnings wrt 'beginner beware' naive 'great ideas'?

Just chitchat to get ideas for future, the questions are not for a specific project.

Thanks.

... After reviewing a few datasheets earlier, I see that the other day I only noticed the Vf vs Tamb at the top of the body diode curve (at 11A), not the bottom part of the graph (at 1 or 10mA drain current) - which is mostly like any diode, oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back