Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Syntethizable counter

Status
Not open for further replies.

madalin1990

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have wrote a code for a stopwatch in verilog.The problem is my Synthesize failed because my counter is not syntethizable.How can I modify it to make it work.Here is the code:
module cnt_0to9(
clk,
en,
rst,
co,
q
);

input clk;
input en;
input rst;
output co;
output [3:0] q;

wire clk;
wire en;
wire rst;
reg co;
reg [3:0] q;

always @(posedge clk,posedge rst)
begin:COUNTER
if(rst == 1'b1)
q <= 4'b0;
else if(en == 1'b1)
q<=q+1;

if(q==4'b1001) begin
q<=4'b0;
co<=1'b1;
end
else begin q<=q+1;
co<=1'b0;

end
end

endmodule

just use begin/end. the issue is that the counter technically would need to increment on either the clock or the reset. eg "if rst == 1" will be true, which will schedule q <= 0. however, the next statement "if q == 9" might be false. in that case q would instead be scheduled to get q+1. You probably wanted a "begin/end" block for the en == 1 case.

It's not a good idea to use if/else without the begin/end. I've taken to just using "if x begin" "end else if y begin" "end else begin" "end" for the lines. It ends up looking a bit like VHDL actually. but it results in safe code and gets rid of the triple-line "elsif".

just use begin/end. the issue is that the counter technically would need to increment on either the clock or the reset. eg "if rst == 1" will be true, which will schedule q <= 0. however, the next statement "if q == 9" might be false. in that case q would instead be scheduled to get q+1. You probably wanted a "begin/end" block for the en == 1 case.

It's not a good idea to use if/else without the begin/end. I've taken to just using "if x begin" "end else if y begin" "end else begin" "end" for the lines. It ends up looking a bit like VHDL actually. but it results in safe code and gets rid of the triple-line "elsif".

I have modified the code as you said but still when i'm using xilinx ise webpack to syntesize it gives me this errors:
ERROR:Xst:899 - "../../module pentru fpga/down level/cnt_0to9_noenable.v" line 35: The logic for <q> does not match a known FF or Latch template. The description style you are using to describe a register or latch is not supported in the current software release.
ERROR:Xst:899 - "../../module pentru fpga/down level/cnt_0to9_noenable.v" line 29: The logic for <co> does not match a known FF or Latch template. The description style you are using to describe a register or latch is not supported in the current software release.

Here it is the modified code:

//numarator 0->9 reset asincron
module cnt_0to9(
clk,
en,
rst,
co,
q
);

input clk;
input en;
input rst;
output co;
output [3:0] q;

wire clk;
wire en;
wire rst;
reg co;
reg [3:0] q;

always @(posedge clk,posedge rst)
begin:COUNTER
if(rst == 1'b1)begin
q <= 4'b0;
end else
if(en == 1'b1)begin
q<= q+1;
if(q==4'b1001)begin
co <=1'b1;
q<=4'b0;
end else begin

co<=1'b0;
end
end else begin q<=q; end

end
endmodule

---------- Post added at 09:47 ---------- Previous post was at 09:39 ----------

it worked.i had to change to q<=q+1; line to the if(q==1'b1) else.It was logical but i couldn't see it.Thank you permut for guiding me to the answer!!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back