Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

supply without transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_byte31

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
220v to 9v without transfomer circuit

hi
i want to design a supply without using a transformer
the supply is 220/12
i thought to but a rectifier then a resistor then a zener 9v
what i want to know does the supply can supply much current
and is it stable

mr_byte31 said:
hi
i want to design a supply without using a transformer
the supply is 220/12
i thought to but a rectifier then a resistor then a zener 9v
what i want to know does the supply can supply much current
and is it stable

"a rectifier then a resistor then a zener " will put you in troble and it is not safe. You may harm yourself with elctric shook. I recommend you to use small flyback circuit with TOP224, or 5v is suffecient(?) use mobile phone chargers

There are severe safety problems involved in not using a transformer. I would suggest that if you are not a chartered engineer and know the safety laws, that you should definitely use a transformer.

it will work but only to a limited and predefined amount of current

u will use high wattage resistors like for 100mA u need 20watt resistor and almost 1K or above resistance

design is not feasible as a power supply, as it has a lot of loss as compared to load usage

any has a schematic of 110V-220V input to 5V 1A output just like in those charger using simple smps? i wonder why most fake chargers can't charge my cellphone but original does.
is it possible to adjust current output of a 5V 400ma rated charger to 1A?

Status
Not open for further replies.