Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions on reading I2C on a Mac

Status
Not open for further replies.

j_writer

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to communicate with a MEGA8-AI over its I2C port. Can this be done on a Mac? I've heard of the Aardvark host adapter but it is $250. It comes with software for OS X. I'm kind of new at this - I hope there is a cheaper way. Thanks.

I actually use TotalPhase equipment including the Aardvark, it's very well designed and supported.

However, if you have a limited budget you could certainly design your own Aardvark like device.

Select a microcontroller which has an embedded USB module and essentially write an app which acts as a bridge between the I2C and USB.

You will also need to write a MAC based app to interpret/send/receive the data.

Of course if this is too challenging a project, you could opt for a Bus Pirate

At around $30, it analyzes not only I2C, but 1-Wire, SPI, UART, JTAG and more.

Sparkfun Bus Pirate

I have a Bus Pirate and it performs quite well. There are a number of open source projects which allow it to do numerous tasks, including a logic analyzer.

BigDog

Wow, good information. Regarding software, what would I use on a Mac for the Bus Pirate? Would I use the Terminal program? I have never used Terminal to talk to a USB port. Do I need unix-type commands to establish communication? I know these are very basic questions - thanks for your patience.

The Bus Pirate USB interface emulates a standard serial port, therefore any terminal emulator application would work.

I'm not familiar enough with the current MAC OS's to suggest a terminal emulator, I typically use Putty.

And while it is open source, I'm not sure if Putty offers a MAC OS version.

The Bus Pirate accepts textual commands.

BigDog

Status
Not open for further replies.