Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest a Microcontroller

Status
Not open for further replies.
IAR C COMPILER for the MSP430

On the coment of the c compiler .. One thing is a bad compiler and the other a lack o support routines .. The compiler is a a good compiler .
But the MSP430 is a recent familiy . there are plenty of applications notes on the MS430 periferals ..I think that you are putting the blame on the wrong part . I have been in this businness for long and i know that
TEXAS INSTRUMENT docs SUCK ..
That's very independant of their products .. The MSP430 is a great familiy
If you decide to spend a little bit of time undertanding the FAMILIY ARCHITECTURE.
But any serious engineer does just that .. i can't go thinking that every CPU has to have a PIC or a 51 FLAVOR ..
TI has made a lot of compromises in order to be able to IMPLEMENT hi level peripherals while keeping the price low..
une example is the TIMERA .
this timer can be used as a TIMER 8 ,16 bits ,UART core ADC time base or PCA unit .

this is much complex than a 51 or even a pic .. The price & POWER consuption makes a difference !
The COMPILER has NOTHING to DO WITH IT !
i just finish a design
a 3.3 v CPU + LCD display (4 digits) for less than $3 .. try to beat that

PIC MICRO 16f877

The ultimate microcontroller from microchip in mid-range series
- 2 CCP Modules
- 1 PWM Module
- 8 Channel 10 bit ADC
- Addressable USART
- 8 KB Flash Program memory
- 256 B DATA EEPROM
- 368 B RAM
- SPI Interface
- PSP Interface
- many more .... faeture

Easy availability of
C Compiler
PIC BASIC Compiler

lots of support from microchip

Post Follow Up:

The best microcontroller but given as sample on the net/manufacturer.

I will also suggest to check out the cypress Psoc .. A new genereration of
microcontrollers with DIGITAL/ANALOG capabilities

eltonjohn said:
I will also suggest to check out the cypress Psoc .. A new genereration of
microcontrollers with DIGITAL/ANALOG capabilities

PSOC family is the most flexible chip i have ever seen but c compiler has some bugs.

for low production "hobby" work, with limited experience - nothing beats developing with the PIC microcontroller. 16F84 or 16F877A

so much support and "how to" on the web. the PIC BASIC compiler with microstudio is fantastic for hobbiests. many helpful forumns and web based projects for you to learn.

also, the microcontrollers are free from the web ;)

w*w.microchip.com

Mr.Cool

Post follow up:

Free Micros:

1. Maxim
2. National
3. Microchip
4. Fairchild
5. TI
6. Philips - OTPs

Please add more.

MICROCHIP PIC16F628: UART, COMPARATOR, Internal Vref, PWM, 3 timers.

Status
Not open for further replies.