Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Successful implementation of TPS2511 based charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sunny55

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, i wish to know if anyone here have successfully made a TPS2511 based charger to charge electronic devices? Thanks.

Where you stuck in this?

I am having some problem in setting charge current. I need to make sure that the current supplied by the usb charger can safely be accepted and used by the smartphone during charging. Are you working with this IC as well?

I use MCP73832 Single Cell Li-Ion Li-Po Charger Controller, its cheap and easy, and works like charm.

Your IC purpose is little different and according to datasheet you should use resistor on pin 2 ILI_SET to set current limit. External resistor used to set current-limiting threshold, recommended 16.9 kΩ ≤ RILIM_SET ≤ 750 kΩ.

On USB 2.0 max 0,5A on USB 3.0 max 0,9A see page 11.

TPS2511 datasheet
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps2511.pdf

I use MCP73832 Single Cell Li-Ion Li-Po Charger Controller, its cheap and easy, and works like charm.

Your IC purpose is little different and according to datasheet you should use resistor on pin 2 ILI_SET to set current limit. External resistor used to set current-limiting threshold, recommended 16.9 kΩ ≤ RILIM_SET ≤ 750 kΩ.

On USB 2.0 max 0,5A on USB 3.0 max 0,9A see page 11.

TPS2511 datasheet
https://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tps2511.pdf

If i follow the sample circuit, can i design it for up to 1.5A to work as a DCP ?

Yes according to datasheet, but not on USB 2.0.

I am making two chargers @ 500mA and 1A. Can i say that 500mA is for usb2.0 while 1A is usb3.0? If so, is there any difference in the USB connector that we using for both designs or we can simply use a usb2.0 usb port for running usb3.0?

Thanks.

Yes according to datasheet, but not on USB 2.0.

but not on one USB 2.0.
2usb.jpg
2*USB 2.0 =1.0A 3*USB 2.0 =1.5A

Yes that is true, and its ok if you have free additional USB ports, and you want to use and carry cables with few USB connectors. I saw USB cables with two connectors, but not with three or more.

Yes that is true, and its ok if you have free additional USB ports, and you want to use and carry cables with few USB connectors. I saw USB cables with two connectors, but not with three or more.

Who said it would be easy?:razz: See no problem to make yourself cable to the three ports USB.
With USB 3.0 is also not all that easy. As I understand the load should be "smart" and be able to negotiate with this port, or the same 0.5 A

Hi, after going through the datasheet, i think it only uses USB2.0 connector as there's only 4 connected points there. No need for USB3.0 i guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.