Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

spread spectrum dc-dc converter question

Status
Not open for further replies.

conal

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
spread spectrum for pwm

I am desiging a spread spectrum dc-dc converter with a +-3% spread around a programmable centre frequency of 500K to 2.4MHz. I am planning to change the frequency every cycle using a pseudo-random bit sequence generator.

My question is, what should the cycle repition time of the pseudo-random generator be? If the cycle repitition time is in the audio range 20Hz to 20KHz, will I get a buzzing sound from dc-dc due to inductor magnetostriction? I am finding that if I want to keep my cycle repition time below the audio range I will have to use a very long and area inefficient shift register - hence the question.

Your help is much appreciated.

Cheers
conal

As the PRBS involves a spectrum up to the half PWM cycle, you'll get audible components anyway. A sufficient FM bandwidth is required to achieve a noticable spread spectrum effect in the PWM noise spectrum. If you want to avoid audible sub harmonics, spread spectrum isn't an option, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.