Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spectrum Analysis - possible without spectrum analyzer or oscilliscope?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissVoice

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello all, I'm new here but I'm hoping you all can help me. I need to produce a spectrum analysis but I don't have a spectrum analyzer or an oscilliscope. Is there any way I could do a spectrum analysis with my sound level meter?

Very trouble thing without SA. You can try to design many bandpass filters, such as filter1 for 1KHz, filter2 for 10KHz, ..., etc.Then install your filter1 between the output port and your sound level meter, read the level; then replace filter1 with filter2, read the level again,....
So you will know the power levels at different freq band.

A spectrum analysis is a plot of amplitude against frequency. What are you trying to measure? If the sound source can be a signal generator then you could sweep that. If the sound source is not generated by you then you could maybe use a tunable bandpass filter. The best way would be with a fixed filter, mixers and swept local oscillator i.e. building a real spectrum analyser.

Keith

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back