Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spectre pss & pac difficulties for SC filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon30

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody, I'm designing a fully differential switched capacitor biquad filter with switching frequency of 1.33 MHz (actually two non-overlapping clocks). When analyzing the ideal circuit (constructed with ideal switches from analogLib and all others elements plus ideal fully differential opamp model constructed from me with vcvs) I should do the following steps(I've read many papers on the subject and I think I get the pss pretty clear, but the other (pac, pnoise) were explained for the oscillators and mixers mostly and I'm finding myself little lost there):
1) I put for input source of the circuit - one vdc with 0V dc voltage and pac magnitude of 100mv with pac phase 0, only for the one input, the other is set to ground;
(Is this is correct ?)
2) I'm setting the pss analysis as follows:
2.1) In the "Engine" section I choose the shooting method;
2.2) In the "Fundamental tones" section there are the two clock signals with the same frequency of 1.33 MHz, so as "Beat frequency" I have also 1.33 MHz;
2.3) In the "Output harmonics" section for "Number of harmonics" I write 0, because I need the pss only for determining the periodic operating point of the circuit, and because I'm interested in the circuit behavior from the range of 0 Hz to 1.33 MHz.
(First question should I entered 0 harmonics here, or I will need more in order to completely characterize an SC filter ?)
2.4) In the "Options..." section for "Integration method" I choose "gear2only" for better convergence;
2.5) When I run the analysis I check the SpectreRF log to see the "Conv. norm" value if it is less then 1 and if I have "pss: The steady-state solution was achieved in X iterations." everything is OK with this;
2.6) If not, I'm having convergence problems and I should change the initial condition (IC) parameter for all the capacitors in the circuit to 0, or to do step response of the circuit and see after witch moment of time it's become stable (let's call this moment ST) and then set the "tstab" parameter in the pss analysis form to a multiple of the clock period greater than ST.
(Second question - are these procedures correct ? Am I doing good and sufficient pss analysis of SC filter ?)
After that I'm staring to fill the form of the pac:
3) What should I choose for "Sweeptype" ? I need the behavior of the circuit from 0 Hz to the "Beat frequency" in this case 1.33 MHz, I mean that I need the AC transfer characteristic of the filter.
3.1) "Input frequency range" I think this is in strong relationship with the above parameter - I think I should choose for the above "absolute" and for that one - from 0.1 to 1.33 MHz, but I'm not sure ?
3.2) This "Sweep type" will be logarithmic with ten points per decade...
3.3) What is this parameter "Maximum sideband", what should I choose here ?
What are the other analysis I need, except Pnoise ? Do I need "Quasi periodic analysis" or others ?
Thanks in advance for your help.

hi
Also I have the above problem.
Why there is not any newer version of "simulating switched-capacitor filters with spectreRF" document for spectreRF2008?
In the above doc the netlist defines only the period and maxacfreq; while in specreRF there are so more parameters required, for example "Fundamental tones" and beat frequency simultaneusly. And other parameters as you said.

I think you should not set any "Fundamental tones" and only set beat freq to 1.33MHz.
the "Maximum sideband" is described in sc-filter (section 2.1)
make me aware if you achieved any more information

I think the
C@dence Virtuoso© SpectreRF Simulation Option User Guide
Product Version 5.1.41 July 2005 - November 2005 - 1600 pages

... has good answers on these questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back