Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Some problems about LNA measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

dot13

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, everyone. I designed a differential wideband(50MHz-1GHz) LNA with 75 ohm input impedance, and there are several problems about how to measure it:
1. The input impedance match to 50 hom test machine: Which is the best way? Should I adopt a resistor matching network? Or are there some better choices?

2. The output buffer choice. The LNA output impedance is designed to be several hundreds ohms, so I have to use a output buffer for testing. I searched the previous topics and decided to use an open-drain topology when measure NF and Gain. But I don't konw how to measure the IIP3 because the IIP3 of the LNA is >10dBm while both the open-drain and source-follow buffers can not reach this value, so the simulated IIP3 is totally restricted by the buffer!

3. Is there any paper or book about how to measure such a LNA? Thank you very much!

I find the resistive min loss pad is very boradband and the loss is very predictable. However, that won't get you from single ended to diff. For that you may need a wideband balun transformed (Toko, MACOM, etc). I use the balun at 50 ohms and then do a 50:75 ohm differential min loss pad. This has worked the best for me up to 2 GHz.

Thanks. Could you pls tell me more about the "50:75 ohm differential min loss pad"? Is this a pad on the chip?

Status
Not open for further replies.