Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

small electronic question

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxbrain

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi
does a DTMF receiver (decoder) as MT8870 or CM8870 works as caller id?
they convert the DTMF to BCD so can we display the number that is calling us to a lcd using atmega
thanks

CLIP information is transmitted in analog telephone systems (PSTN) via Subscriber line protocol using V.23 (1200 baud FSK modem) signaling. The protocol is described e.g. in ETS 300 659-1, downloadable from pda.etsi.org. It's not related to DTMF number dialing.

then what does the dtmf decoder makes in the output that is BCD?

is there a way to make an id caller using the atmega?or even using a id caller that is already made but how can i identify it to the atmega and make it read the incoming number?

A DTMF decoder is good to e.g. decode the tones that are dialed in during a telephone call, e.g. to operate a mailbox. Caller ID reception is supported by newer analog modems. There are also special chips decoding the said subscriber line protocol. But I don't remember the vendors or types at present. As said, it's basically a V.23 modem with a line interface.

so if we connected it to the atmega we can know what numbers has been dialed in a call??is that right?
do u have any idea on how to connect an id caller to a microcontroller?
my goal of that is when i call my home from my mobile the microcontroller wonders that i phoned and it would make an action...

In some countries (e.g. Brazil) Caller ID is coded using DTMF.
The others use FSK at 1200 bps (Bell or V.23).
Depending of the country it can be a non-free service and you would need a subscription.
Regards

Z

Last edited:
Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
@foxbrain, you can use it to decode digits from the tones during a call because the tones are audible on the line. You can't normally use it if the call has not yet been connected. Even in countries where DTMF is used for caller ID, you still need extra circuits to detect there is an incoming call and possibly also a pre-ID pilot tone. Bear in mind that there are high voltages on telephone lines, particularly when the phone is ringing, you can't just attach wires directly to the IC. MITEL make a range of CID and DTMF devices, their data sheets would be a good starting place for research. Brian.

nice information zorro and betwixt but as i said before:
my goal of that is when i call my home from my mobile the microcontroller wonders that i phoned and it would make an action...
so for that i should connect a prepared id caller to the atmega or i should make it , how can i do that ???is there another way for that?

thanks that was useful.... so you can get to number from the pin DATA in sequence , that's great.

You can connect a caller id decoder, e.g. IDT NW6005 IDT - Integrated Device Technology - Caller ID > NW6005 to your ATmega.
i've been searching for buying this IC but i didn't find where can i buy it...
PIC Basic projects
that might help but i would like to u Atmel controllers so does MT8870 works as an caller id? what is the specific function of it?

You can connect a caller id decoder, e.g. IDT NW6005 IDT - Integrated Device Technology - Caller ID > NW6005 to your ATmega. You should find out, which kind of caller ID is used in your country. It's correct, that DTMF is used in some countries, as zorro reported,

Hello ,

I am using the same Caller ID chip "NW6005" interfacing with pic16f1947. I am facing a problem like data pin of this chip also generating a pulses when you talk.I mean Speech is also a FSK Stream .so my pic is getting interrupt till i speak on a phone and if there is auto answering machine set up then ,due to long stream, It start doing streange things as array gets overflow.

Do you have any clue how to use this chip efficiently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back