Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulating TLTs in HF RF Amplifier Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

FE2O3EE

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hf rf amp

I'm interested in modeling several different RF amplifier designs for operation on amateur radio frequencies in the HF spectrum (3-30MHz). The application requires linear amplifiers but needs to be efficient, so I'm looking at running Class B. Mosfets seem to be favored in the newer designs I have seen from a number of sources, but it would be interesting to contrast their performance with BJT designs. Power levels are under 10 watts.

I have been using Micro Cap 9 for a simulator lately and am generally pleased with its ease-of-use and features. Unfortunately, many of the amplifier circuits I wish to simulate make use of transmission-line-transformers and I'm confused about how to model them with MC9 (it uses HSpice). MC9 provides only basic 4-terminal transformers in its library. It also contains transmission line elements in the library, but they are not coupled as they are in a TLT. A little Googling around shows that this problem is addressed in high-end RF design packages like AWR Designer, but this seems like overkill for frequencies and power range I am working with. I was hoping someone might be able to suggest a way for me to obtain reasonably accurate large-signal simulation under MC9/HSpice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back