Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulating Phase Noise...

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazelk

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How can I do....

How can I simulate phase noise in HSPICE??

I am not familiar with HSpice and depeded where you want to simulate in analog or digital.

Basically what is phase noise is to change incoming signal current phase into another signal which phase is changed either by a circuit.

Such circuit to change phase nonlinearly in analog is for example a filter. Make a filter a butterworth for example at 1000KHz cut-off second order and I bet from what is incoming signal the output signal will be altered in phase.

If the change is predictable, it is not noise.
The phase change of a filter is constant for a given frequency.

For VCO phase noise use for example ADS simulation. You have to add the active device 1/f noise parameters(Kf and Af).
For additive noise there are more options but the ADS is a good choice.
D.J

buta said:
If the change is predictable, it is not noise.
The phase change of a filter is constant for a given frequency.

buta phase noise in filters is not predicteable in most of the cases and may not be constant for a given frequency due to various power levels signals being filtered have. There are some filters to have a linear phase response like Bessel filters for example.

These kinds are predicteable unless we apply some propability mathematical aproximation approach, or threshold,etc to overcome this noise in other cases we encounter phase noise.

Phase noise is a condition signal undertakes (in its path) due to boundary, circuit network, temperature, external interference, etc. to excert a non-linearity in phase with respect with its original signal. That consitutes a great chunk we call it phase noise.

Hi mazelk,

What I know is that if you have pure tone(sine wave) and
then you add phase noise (random changeof the phase) in the spectral domain
it will appear as spreading of the tone line forming the 1/f curves around the main tone.

I would select matlab for theoretical simulation.

In Hspice you can made long transient analysis then take the FFT and you can estimate
the tones spreading.

Hope this helps.
dora

dora said:
Hi mazelk,

What I know is that if you have pure tone(sine wave) and
then you add phase noise (random change of the phase) in the spectral domain
it will appear as spreading of the tone line forming the 1/f curves around the main tone.

I would select matlab for theoretical simulation.

In Hspice you can made long transient analysis then take the FFT and you can estimate
the tones spreading.

Hope this helps.
dora

The random change of the phase should have a 1/f spectrum. If it is white, you will have
a single tone signal plus a white noise.

To get a 1/f power spectrum you can simply filter a white noise with a 1/sqrt(jωt/ω0) filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back