Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

simulate analog signal to digital with FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

javadgodling

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I write the FFT filter in FPGA and i want simulate it before implement it.
the problem is that We need A2D for digitalize the signal.
how can i simulate this A2D in software?
modelsim is helpful? i think modelsim just simulate digital siganl and can't input analog signal...

thanks

you are right. modelsim is only for digital simulation and you should give it data after adc.

I think there are no limitations in modelling the ADC behaviour in a digital simulator like Modelsim. You'll input an "analog" stimulus (a real signal) and perform the quantization in your ADC model.

Although it's not the primary application of a digital simulator, you can even model the behaviour of an external analog circuit by describing it in the z-domain (using difference equations).

I think there are no limitations in modelling the ADC behaviour in a digital simulator like Modelsim. You'll input an "analog" stimulus (a real signal) and perform the quantization in your ADC model.

Although it's not the primary application of a digital simulator, you can even model the behaviour of an external analog circuit by describing it in the z-domain (using difference equations).

I cant undrestad what you seid
you mean I put analog signal in modelsim? how can I explain to modelsim analog signal!!!
and how can I dramatize ADC to modelsim?

To give an example, a real number range of 0.0 to 5.0 will be mapped to an integer value of 0 to 1023 to model an (ideal) 10-Bit ADC. That's a simple numeric operation in Modelsim.

Status
Not open for further replies.