Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Digital audio router

r315

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I have been tasked in developing a solution that allows audio routing between multiple channels and would like t know you opinion on possible hardware solutions.

The current specification is not closed yet, but the general idea is to be able to interconnect 9 PCM channels with 4 slots (16bit) each in a way that any slot in a any channel can be routed to any other channel in a different slot.

So far I have found 3 possible solutions for implementation, XMOS chip (XU208 family), Analog ADAU14/42/45/66 or fpga implementation.

XMOS seams to be the goto solution but it is very difficult to obtain parts. Analog has a very nice GUI for implementation however some features require licensing, FPGA implementation I never use it before but I guess it is possible to start from an example and modify it for my needs.

What is your opinion on hardware solution?

To imagine a simple hardware setup...
An old-fashioned telephone operator has 9 customers. Any one of them can initiate a call to another. You have four patch cables. You plug in a cable so it connects the caller to the receiver allowing them to have a two-way conversation. Four independent conversations are possible at one time.

Hidden from sight is a jumble of cables. Do you need a similar setup? Your post describes 4 slots in a central junction. Each slot is able to join any two of 9 electronic channels.

The 4066 IC has an internal switch able to connect two wires, controlled by the state of a third wire. One chip contains four independent switches. The signals can pass in either direction. The signals can be analog or digital.

The wiring can be hidden from view, although a human being is needed to press the correct buttons in order to make hardware join a talker to a listener.

The format of PCM frame is the standard where FS has the duration of a bit at start of a frame and data starts by msb.

The solution must allow a given slot to be routed to one or more channels in different slots, a simple mux does not allow the flexibility.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: