Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

'signal' (vhdl) = 'wire' or 'reg' (verilog)

Status
Not open for further replies.

davyzhu

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
vhdl wire

Hello all,

I found vhdl use signal and verilog use wire and reg to describe a connection between combinational logic, but the thing bothered me that "how to specify the signal to be wire or reg" or " signal equal to wire or reg" ? :roll:

Regards,

Davy Zhu

vhdl reg

davyzhu..
I guess u r trying to convert some VHDL to verilog. Well a signal in VHDL can be reg or wire in verilog.. ie if the signal is intended to be synthesised as a flop .. it shud be reg... else wire...
Inside the "process" statement , if any signal is assigned to any other signal it will be flop .. or if outside process it will be a net..

hope this helps

verilog wire reg

I think u have had a vhdl version in your hand. You can analysis the function of the vhdl module. None fixed relation.

verilog reg in vhdl

whizkid said:
davyzhu..
I guess u r trying to convert some VHDL to verilog. Well a signal in VHDL can be reg or wire in verilog.. ie if the signal is intended to be synthesised as a flop .. it shud be reg... else wire...
Inside the "process" statement , if any signal is assigned to any other signal it will be flop .. or if outside process it will be a net..

hope this helps

regards
WHIZKID

In Verilog, 'reg' does not have to be synthesised as flop or latch, even when it's in the 'always' statement. Also, I wondered if 'signal' in the 'process' in VHDL was always synthesised into flop or latch? As I just started to use VHDL, will any VHDL guru clarify this point? cheers

wire in vhdl

I believe that there is no straight forward relation however, I yoou can use this rule, if the signal is synthesized as a register or latch, then use reg otherwise use wire, I believe it is this simple.

However Iwant to note that not all process in VHDL produce a reg. or latch but it depends on two things, 1- the sensitivity list, 2- wether all conditions of changes were included in the process code area.

thats all folks

Status
Not open for further replies.