Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Shutdown and then soft start for LM5021?

cupoftea

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
Supposing i want to shut the LM5021 down and then restart it with a soft start....can i do this by shorting out the SS pin capacitor and then letting it charge back up?.. (obviously shorting the COMP pin temporarily to ground at the same time.)

I appreciate i can get a soft start by temporarily shorting VIN to ground (or <7V) , but that'll take more components.

To implement a soft start or shutdown sequence, simply shorting the SS (Soft Start) pin capacitor and momentarily grounding the COMP (Compensation) pin might not be a reliable or safe method. This method can cause unpredictable behavior or damage the device.

Drat, it looks like im going to have to put in a NPN/PNP combo and a few resistors to turn off the Vin to the LM5021 during under voltage input, so that it soft starts back.....and i dont really have room.

I have a 24Vin...so i have a bleed resistor from LM5021 vin to that...and also a diode connected 12v bias rail to take over after the vin has gotten up to startup (20v)....i am windering if i dont bother to switch out the bleed, will the soft start cap then get charged up via the bleed alone? (bleed = startup resistor)...i dont want it too...since i want soft restart.

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: