Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Schematic and VHDL source of USB Blaster clone

Status
Not open for further replies.

HMA

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
usb blaster clone

Dear all ..

I have found a USB-Blaster clone based on EPM240 CPLD with the FT245 chip .

the attached archive contains the schematic , VHDL source , and the EEPROM *.ept config file .

Regards for all :D

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

URL : **broken link removed**

Re: usb blaster clone

Hi,
I have 2 big problems:
- I can't program the 93lc46 device with MPROG. When I want to scan for detected my EEPROM, the software send me back the message "No device found".
- When i want program (with quartus) the EPM240 device with an USB Blaster. The software send me back the message "No device detected".

Can you explain the procedure for making this board (tutorial).

Excuse me for my english, i'm french :grin:

Thank you

Re: USB Blaster clone

Not reaching the FT245 by MPROG means, that the FTDI chip related circuit part has errors. Most likely, the device also doesn't show up in system control manager? The issue isn't related to USB Blaster operation anyhow. You have to solve it before you can proceed to the next step (connecting the device by Altera software).

You program the EEPROM device with the USB port ?
Have you place all components before ?

I didn't build the said device, but I'm frequently working with FTDI chips and original USB Blaster. I've also previously analyzed USB Blaster circuit and operation. The USB interface must me operational for MPROG to work, including bus connectiion, power supply, 6 MHz crystal, 93C46 interface. The CPLD and JTAG related circuit part may be or may be not assembled.

P.S.: The device would be detected also without the 93C46, but can't be programmed of course.

Mprog software should detect the memory or the FT245BL device ?

It detects the FT245 also without a memory and indicates "blank device" and "read EEPROM failure" in this case.

it's the result :)

Attachments

• mprog.jpg
    mprog.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 211

I see that the FTDI chip is recognized. Did you try to write the USB Blaster configuration to the EEPROM? If it doesn't work, it's most likely a problem with the 9346 circuit. There are chips with different pin assignment in use.

Hi,
Are you sure the FTDI (FT245BL) is recognized ?
Why in the box "device type" there is "none" ?
When i want to write to the EEPROM the message "No device found" appear.
I use the 93LC46B/SN device.

Are you sure the FTDI (FT245BL) is recognized ?
I'm sure that a FTDI device is recognized. You get the same "scan" display with any device. Also a programmed USB Blaster is only different by showing "programmed" instead of "blank". The type field is filled up on read and parse.

Generally, I suggest to play around with MProg, using other FTDI devices, e.g. USB-serial adapters. It's more instructive than just asking at edaboard. It's also my exclusive source of information.

Hi,
Have you use the FT245BL device with MPROG ?

using USB Blaster step by step......

I used 245BM, as originally assembled with USB Blaster. I don't think that 245BL is different.

I could program my eeprom with an external programmer.
Now, i can't program the CPLD with QUARTUS software !!!
The JTAG test fails.

Now, i can't program the CPLD with QUARTUS software !!! The JTAG test fails.
With a correct JTAG circuit, a correctly powered MAX II device and functional programming adapter, it's expected to work. What do you want to know in this regard?

Status
Not open for further replies.