Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ring oscillator question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Justin Wenger

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I was trying to build a ring oscillator on Pspice, but it doesn't oscillate..(I posted the output waveform)

PMOS, NMOS L is 0.2um, and Pmos W=4um, Nmos W=1.8um

If you know what the problem is, please give me an advice

Thank you.

Attachments

• 14.png
    14.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 168
  • 15.png
    15.png
    85.4 KB · Views: 161

The circuit won't start to oscillate even if the delay is sufficient. It needs a kick start or similar measure due to simulator behavior. 1. It starts in perfect steady state. 2. It doesn't model noise in transient simulation.

The circuit won't start to oscillate even if the delay is sufficient. It needs a kick start or similar measure due to simulator behavior. 1. It starts in perfect steady state. 2. It doesn't model noise in transient simulation.
Yes, kick it with a pulse as FvM mentioned. That's a classical situation in simulating oscillators.
Thank you for answering.

I attached a pulse in front of the oscillator, but it's still not oscillating..

Did I do something wrong? Is the Vpulse not attached properly?

Attachments

• 31.png
    31.png
    11.7 KB · Views: 151
  • 32.png
    32.png
    89.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Hi

Did you switch to HIGH-Z after the kick started pulse?

What's the expected oscillation frequency?

Klaus

Reactions: Justin Wenger

Justin Wenger

Thank you for answering. But I don't know what it means to switch to HIGH-Z. The expected frequency is 2GHz.
Hi

Did you switch to HIGH-Z after the kick started pulse?

What's the expected oscillation frequency?

Klaus
Thank you for answering.

But I don't know what it means to switch to HIGH-Z.

The expected freqeuency is 2GHz.

Hi

Switching to HIGH-Z means to disable it's driver. High impedance.

If you don't do this the pulse generator forces a dedicated voltage ... making it impossible to oscillate.

Please change simulation time to 20ns.

The simulation tool is able to show the voltage of every node. Try this at least for two adjacent inverters.

Klaus

Thank you again.

I changed the simulation time to 20ns

(y)

Attachments

• 33.png
    33.png
    117.8 KB · Views: 128

The voltage source in post #5 is simly shorting the feedback path, impossble to get oscillations. A paralel current source or a series voltage source in the feedback path would avoid this problem.

I don't know if the transistor parameters allow oscillations with the 5-inverter circuit.

Your circuit oscillates at 500MHx because the Pch RdsOn is too low and Coss of the Nch is too high because it's RdsOn is too low. Try to balance the RdsOn Coss =T for each Nch vs Pch to achieve a triangle wave form with flat rails that match the frequency you wish to achieve = 2 GHz this also depends on the Ciss of each gate.

Then you may succeed , as RdsOn*Coss = T depends on the geometry size of the transistor. (AFAIK) this is a 1st order approximation of a higher order system. This is the same as Coss/gm for a given (Vdd-Vt)^2 if I recall. So increasing the Vdd or reducing Vt will speed up the process as well as lower temperatures.

I would anticipate your Vt shud be around 0.7V . What are Vt and gm or RdsON or Beta? Cds, Cgs? The Pch may need to be enlarged to do this yet have the same Vt , gm as the Nch.

> 5GHz ought to be possible, but this is getting into the realm of CML which operates faster.

no noise is required to kick start it as the slew rate of Ciss, Coss induces current as the outputs invert the input. But if the Loop gain is not >=1 at Vdd/2 , then it will never sustain oscillation. Your target ought to be >>1 and BW -3dB = 0.35/ rise time (10~90%) for the fundamentals and more if the saturation time is a low % for slew time vs prop delay time in the loop. Thus if your gm is enough in 3 stages even higher frequencies may be achieved but with possible asymmetry and duty cycle errors if the Pch, Nch are not well matched.
--- Updated ---

I was trying to build a ring oscillator on Pspice, but it doesn't oscillate..(I posted the output waveform)

PMOS, NMOS L is 0.2um, and Pmos W=4um, Nmos W=1.8um

If you know what the problem is, please give me an advice

Thank you.
--- Updated ---

Rough simulation. https://tinyurl.com/ygbjo56p
--- Updated ---

Last edited:
Can U answer my questions?

Here 5 GHz @ 3.3 V under 0.25 W https://tinyurl.com/ye2xqxgg Cgs/Cgd=20 Beta=0.05, Vt=0.7
VTH: PCH=-0.41 / NCH=0.34
CGS: PCH=6.76E-10 / NCH= 7.68E-10
CDS: PCH= 2.4E-4 / NCH= 2.4E-4
Beta: PCH=1.17E-5 / NCH= 1.07E-5
--- Updated ---

Your circuit oscillates at 500MHx because the Pch RdsOn is too low and Coss of the Nch is too high because it's RdsOn is too low. Try to balance the RdsOn Coss =T for each Nch vs Pch to achieve a triangle wave form with flat rails that match the frequency you wish to achieve = 2 GHz this also depends on the Ciss of each gate.

Then you may succeed , as RdsOn*Coss = T depends on the geometry size of the transistor. (AFAIK) this is a 1st order approximation of a higher order system. This is the same as Coss/gm for a given (Vdd-Vt)^2 if I recall. So increasing the Vdd or reducing Vt will speed up the process as well as lower temperatures.

I would anticipate your Vt shud be around 0.7V . What are Vt and gm or RdsON or Beta? Cds, Cgs? The Pch may need to be enlarged to do this yet have the same Vt , gm as the Nch.

> 5GHz ought to be possible, but this is getting into the realm of CML which operates faster.

no noise is required to kick start it as the slew rate of Ciss, Coss induces current as the outputs invert the input. But if the Loop gain is not >=1 at Vdd/2 , then it will never sustain oscillation. Your target ought to be >>1 and BW -3dB = 0.35/ rise time (10~90%) for the fundamentals and more if the saturation time is a low % for slew time vs prop delay time in the loop. Thus if your gm is enough in 3 stages even higher frequencies may be achieved but with possible asymmetry and duty cycle errors if the Pch, Nch are not well matched.
--- Updated ---

--- Updated ---

Rough simulation. https://tinyurl.com/ygbjo56p
--- Updated ---

May I ask you how the 1Ohm resistor makes the circuit oscillate? I removed the resistor and the circuit wouldn't oscillate and I don't understand how the resistor is affecting the oscillator.

Attachments

• NCH.png
    NCH.png
    66.2 KB · Views: 125
  • PCH.png
    PCH.png
    65.4 KB · Views: 106
  • Resistance.png
    Resistance.png
    29.5 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:

VTH: PCH=-0.41 / NCH=0.34
CGS: PCH=6.76E-10 / NCH= 7.68E-10
CDS: PCH= 2.4E-4 / NCH= 2.4E-4
Beta: PCH=1.17E-5 / NCH= 1.07E-5
--- Updated ---

May I ask you how the 1Ohm resistor makes the circuit oscillate? I removed the resistor and the circuit wouldn't oscillate and I don't understand how the resistor is affecting the oscillator.
The caps in the FET actually have an ESR which is necessary to prevent violation of KVL with infinite currents or a short circuit. It could be 1 uohm and won't make any difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back