Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RFID antenna close to LIPO battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

igeorge

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have a very small ABS box.
I am forced to put my LIPO battery under the PCB and under it the RFID antenna for 125KHz reader.
It is like a sandwich.
Bottom of the box, RFID rectangle wire antenna, LIPO battery, and in the top the PCB.
I wonder if the LIPO which is covered by aluminum foil and a protective plastic above will interfere with my RFID antenna and reduce reading distance.
Please help.
Thank you

I wonder if the LIPO which is covered by aluminum foil and a protective plastic above will interfere with my RFID antenna and reduce reading distance.
Yes it does. Worst case, a ferrite plate may be placed between RFID coil and battery for isolation, the coil circuit must be possibly retuned.

:(
Now, next scenario

Top of the box
LIPO
0.5 inch (1.27 centimetres) free space
PCB
0.250 inch (0.64 cm) free space
RFID antenna
Bottom of box

What is your opinion.
Regarding RFID card, I will just touch the bottom of the box, so maximum distance 0.4 inch (1.02 cm).

We had to look at the PCB details, e.g. if it involves continuous planes. The overall behaviour is hard to predict, probably simpler to to empirical tests.

Thank you very much.
When I get the parts(the battery) I will try, and update you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back