Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF Up/Down Converters

Status
Not open for further replies.

anil_arena

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How to tune variable local oscillator in a dual stage down converter. I've heard that comb generators can be used as frequency synthesizers. Any body know how to use this as a variable local oscillator.[/quote]

Thanks for the link. Do we need to give any control signals(TTL) to VCO to change oscillations??
If so we shud be knowing what is the input frequency we are looking for. But if u take comb generator synthesizer, there we use solid state switches to select frequency out of the Comb output.
My question is, if u r down_converting a signal in dual stages, by using Variable LO in 1st stage and fixed LO in 2nd stage, on what basis this Variable LO is tuned so that all incoming signal in a BANDs of frequency will be down_converted to a Fixed Narrow band frequency????
If you guys have any examples please send me...
thank you

It seems you are not familiar with VCOs...

1.-Most VCOs the frequency is a function of an analog voltage. So, no there are no TTL levels...although you could use them...but that gives you very poor frequency selectivity unless you have lots of bits.

2.-Comb generators produce an spectrum that pretty much looks like a comb in the frequency domain...lots of lines at multiples of the fundamental frequency.

3.-By themselves, comb gen. or vcos do not downconvert anything... the basics is that you have to tune the VCO to the frequency you need or make the comb generator produce the spectral line (frequency) that you need to downconvert your signal with some extra hardware (mixer or sampler)

Status
Not open for further replies.