Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Retrieving data from memory (MSP430f20xx)

Status
Not open for further replies.

lddang

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys I have a MSP430f2012. I will be using it to collect and store an analog signal.
Here's the basic operation.

1. Read analog signal
  2. Do ADC conversion
  3. Store ADC somewhere in memory
  4. Repeat and overwrite for long period of time

After say couple days I want to access that memory address and read the value using Terra Term or the likes...I want to use something simple but don't know where to begin.

Hi guys I have a MSP430f2012. I will be using it to collect and store an analog signal.
Here's the basic operation.

1. Read analog signal
  2. Do ADC conversion
  3. Store ADC somewhere in memory
  4. Repeat and overwrite for long period of time

After say couple days I want to access that memory address and read the value using Terra Term or the likes...I want to use something simple but don't know where to begin.
Why would you read memory using SSH client anyway? What are you trying to do??

It doesnt have to be ssh. I just want to access a specific location of the memory and read its value.

It doesnt have to be ssh. I just want to access a specific location of the memory and read its value.
But, the logic behind your wish is errornous. You cannot read CPU ram location value using telnet client! What are you trying to do, maybe we can brainstorm your task!

But, the logic behind your wish is errornous. You cannot read CPU ram location value using telnet client! What are you trying to do, maybe we can brainstorm your task!

Ok. Forget telnet or ssh. I have data saved in memory...all I want to do is read that memory bank to see what is the value in it...basically how can I probe that memory bank.

Ok, what language are you using, C, pure Assembler, ...?
I am using C. Here is a picture of what I am doing. msp430.gif

Right besides a debugger...I have no way of reading the msp430.

I am using C. Here is a picture of what I am doing. View attachment 96108

Right besides a debugger...I have no way of reading the msp430.
Well, you need circular buffer (array) to store adc conversion value in it. Once you come to the end of array, you overwrite the 0th element, increase index and this you are iterating as long as adc conversion goes on! This array is stored in msp430's working ram and this is how you write/read values. Once you have filled this buffer, you can send this data via tcp/ip to some other station ...

Hello!

Your drawing doesn't explain much.
You were talking about teraterm, so I will suppose that you have:

- An MSP430 board sampling something and putting it in some memory location
- A serial port interface (using a MAXIM or Intersil 3232 chip)
- A PC running teraterm.
- An USB/Serial adapter (or possibly an old PC with a serial port)

Now what you need to do is to establish a serial port on your MSP430. There is a lot of code for the 2012.
BUT : the 2012 has only 2K of flash and 128 bytes of RAM. I guess the only thing you can do is to sample,
send, sample, send, etc... That should be feasible. The advantage here is that since the flash is only 2K,
you can use the free IAR kickstart (a name like that).

Dora.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back