Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Regarding FPGA and Microcontrollers

Status
Not open for further replies.

rajesh6821

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello friends,
I am working on FPGA's. I would like know when to use FPGA'S and when to use microcontrollers? Tell me the exact differences betwween two in the reliability and other aspects?

That is incorrect. Both microcontrollers and FPGAs are reprogrammable and can be used in different designs.

Keith

its depend on your design. if you used a lot of logic combination, then it is better to use FPGA.

I think that misunderstands the difference. FPGAs are logic devices but with registers (and memory) which means they can also perform sequential tasks. However, FPGAs can perform many tasks in parallel using logic and therefore at high speed.

A microcontroller is a sequential device and so quite slow by comparison. The peripherals of a microcontroller are implemented in hardware and so reasonably fast (eg UART) but microcontrollers cannot perform logic functions at hardware speeds. Any logic requiring any speed would need to be done outside the microcontroller.

Keith

Reactions: zel

zel

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back