Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AMD 7Series FPGA Configuration Debugging (INIT_B and DONE pins use)

dpaul

Advanced Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
This is a question on the best practice involved for AMD 7Series FPGA for its configuration debuging.

Background:
An external Flash is connected to the 7 series FPGA and is supposed to configure it using the Master Serial Peripheral Interface (SPI) configuration mode x1 (board schematics exist, hardware bring up test not yet done). When the boards arrive, my objective is to test if the bitstream has been correctly loaded or not. Note that an option to program the FPGA over JTAG also exists (changing the values of M2, M1 and M0 pins ), but that is not my first target to test.

What info I have:
Now I referred to this document - 7 Series FPGAs Configuration User Guide, UG470 (v1.17) December 5, 2023

From page 15, I extract the following info...
1708684520038.png

But what is mentioned in the above doc, I do not see in the schematic prepared by the PCB design engineer. This is what he has done...

1708684943735.png

Well the above is also correct. In fact such an approach is mentioned within the same documentaion at page 48 (SS below).

1708685152911.png

Question:
So now I am confused as to what is the best approach for the INIT_B and DONE pins?
My main target will always be to how if bitstream loading from Flash to FPGA is successful or not.

You connect LEDs to INIT_B and DONE if you want LED signalling showing you FPGA is loaded (DONE) and out of reset (INIT_B). It is very helpful for debugging. If you do not want any visual indication, the LEDs can be avoided.

I personally connect a LED on DONE, but do not use LED on INIT_B.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back