Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Refine the mesh only in a particular part of the object?

Status
Not open for further replies.

r.bahl

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi all ...
can some body tell me how can i refine the mesh only in a particular part of the object???? for ex i have i a cylinder with very high ε and hence i suspect that E field will have very high gradients at the circumference of the cylinder and hence i want to refine the mesh only near the circumference and not necessarily in the middle .
Thanx in advance
Rohit Bahl

Re: meshing problem

you havent mentioned which software you are using to simulate your structure?

however just to give you an idea , you can define a circular ring whose inner radius is less than the the radius of your cylinder and whose outer radius is more than the radius of your cylinder
the material assigned to this ring should be air so that it doesnt interfere with your cylinder
then you can use a refine mesh for this ring to increase the mesh density around the circumference of the structure

regards

Please say what kind of mesh do you have - is this triangular mesh for MoM or this is other-kind grid for another solver?

hi ... thax very much shahid78 .. i am using HFSS V 11 for my simulations

Added after 2 minutes:

hi e_m_c .. as i am using HFSS v 11 , its FEM based and uses tetrahedron meshing

Added after 8 minutes:

I am facing one more problem .. i have to simulate a single cell , which is composed of a very small outer membrane and inner cytoplasm , basically membrane is a spherical shell of very small thickness d = 8 nm, ε=11 and conductivity =6 mS/m , and cytoplasm is a sphere of r = 4 micro meter ... when i simulated this structure exiting it with a plane wave and enclosed with an lamba/2 air box (f =2.2 Ghz) , meshing fails .. i get an error saying ....
[error] Mesh generation has failed. Specific details may be found in Modeler>Model Analysis>Show Analysis Dialog>Last Simulation Mesh. (1:30 PM Jun 26, 2008)
[error] Simulation completed with execution error on server: Local Machine. (1:30 PM Jun 26, 2008)

and :- fault tolerent meshing failed , error in stitch module

i think its because of the small thickness of the membrane that the meshing fails ... but i dont know how to rectify it ...can some one suggest something?? i will be grateful .
Thanx in advance
Rohit Bahl

Added after 28 minutes:

@ shahid78 ..i tried to follow ur advice and defined an cylindrical shell around the cylinder( i had assigned it vacuum) but during the validation check i get and error that both the cylinders intersect and hence i can not proceed ...what shall i do to rectify this problem ????? thanx again ..

In HFSS you have two basic options easy or harder.

The easy way is add what are known as dummy objects in the area whare you want the mesh to be more refined. instead of surrounding an object with one thick vacuum layer for example surround it with a number of nested vacuum shells.

(harder way) You can also manually force the mesh to refine in selected areas or "seed" the mesh to accomplish the same thing. Read about the details in on-line help.

length of tetrahedron

how to increase or decrease the length of tetrahedron while doing meshing..in feko we can adjust the length of triangle edge element.but in hfss if i change the edge length im unable to find the difference..kindly help me as soon as possible..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back