Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rE Field in HFSS

Tures_s

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone, I am trying to understand what the rE field is in HFSS, by definition in the HFSS Help it is described as: " The selected component of the radiated electric field, which is multiplied by the radial distance, r."
I don't understand what concretely is for HFSS the radial distance, maybe is it the distance between the wave port and the reference system that I set in Radiation -> 3D for the far field?

Hi,

'r' in this case would be the distance between the phase center of your antenna and a point in the far field.

Note that in the far field, electric field falls off with 1/r, so when you multiply by r, the entire quantity r*E is no longer dependent on r, but instead just on phi and theta.

The practical utility of this far-field quantity is that it can be divided by R in meters to get the E field strength at a point in the far field (useful for a rough idea of things like 3m emissions).

The relationship between r*E [V] and E field (V/M) is similar to the relationship between EIRP [W] and power density [W/m^2]. Note that both are a function of the particular input power being applied to the antenna.

Hope this helps,
--Eric

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back