Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Radio receiver question ...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cisco

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
What radio receivers contains intermediate frequency transformers?

What radio receivers contains intermediate frequency transformers?
If the receiver employees IF section then it should have an IF transformer.

As far As I Know, All modern broadcast band receiver has an IF stage ( AM or FM ) and they have IFT( Intermediate Frequency Transformer).

Of-course they are separate.

Lastly Any Super heterodyne receiver has IF stage and have IFTs.

Guess this much you wanted.

Hi, Medium wave and short wave bands will have intermediate frequency stages scince due large bandwidth/frequecny range. the RF amplifier gain is not equal for all receiving radio chanels at different frequencies due to passive components. so what ever the desired frequency we are receiving we first convert it into IF frequency (intermediate frequency-455KHz) and then amplify through RF amplifier to required strenth which is tuned for 455KHz. the following is the stages of a radio receiver for clarity

1)RF stage consists of oscillator and IF transformers for channel selection and convertion to intermediate frequency 455KHz.
2)RF amplifier for amplification, desined and tuned for 455KHz.
3)demodulator.
4)audio amplifier.
5)speaker.

Some radios have two, and even three, i.f's.

One receiver with which I was familiar covered a frequency range of 15kHz to 28MHz and had a first i.f. of 700kHz and a second i.f. of 85kHz.

The Racal TRA-931 transceiver, 1.4MHz to 29.999MHz, had a first i.f. of 35.4MHz and a second i.f of 1.4MHz.

The Racal RA-17 receiver, 980kHz to 30MHz, had a first i.f. of 40MHz, a second i.f. of 2.5MHz and a third i.f. of 100kHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.