Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions memory chips of SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

John rodrigues

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Do SSD flash memory chips have a useful life even when stored unused? after years stopped without use they stop working because they have some organic component? ex. TLC memory chips

can be used for permanent long-term storage?

Do SSD flash memory chips have a useful life even when stored unused? after years stopped without use they stop working because they have some organic component? ex. TLC memory chips

can be used for permanent long-term storage?

I think they do, the internal memory used on smartphones use similar chips as SSDs and I know that smartphones work even after being unused for a long time. As you noted in your other thread, SSDs have limited write/erase cycles, these make them less durable than mechanical discs in HDDs, so if you watch out and keep within the write/erase cycle, they should be for okay for storage. Will you be using them as backup?

Is the useful life of SSD flash recording chips only reduced during use with writing?

If I buy two SSD units, use one of them and the other store for 15 or more years after that period the unit that is stored will still work with good electronics and working flash chips?

There are some chemical reactions that take place even if the IC is unused, there s a very gradual migration of atoms between the different materials in the silicon. However, the likely lifetime in storage is several decades. Data retention in the individual cells is generally rated to anywhere between about 40 years and 200 years but obviously based on theory rather than observation.

True, reading has negligible effect on longevity, writing does very slowly degrade the storage cell capacity but typically millions write operations should be achievable. Certainly many times more than you would see in normal use. There is some (debatable) theory that completely erasing and rewriting an SSD memory will restore full lifetime again. This probably depends on the technology used by each manufacturer and is based on charges dispersing slowly into adjacent cells. If the theory is correct, completely wiping the memory and starting over again will reset it's life expectancy. There is probably some basis for that theory but I wouldn't trust it until we have far more real data to work from. Note that 'completely erasing' in this context means all the cells are set to the same state and then a low-level format is carried out, it doesn't mean just making a backup and restoring it.

Brian.

Is the useful life of SSD flash recording chips only reduced during use with writing?

Yes, flash memory's lifespan is reduced when written and erased. These are the chips used in consumer SSDs.

If I buy two SSD units, use one of them and the other store for 15 or more years after that period the unit that is stored will still work with good electronics and working flash chips?

I think it will, I have a smartphone from 2007 and it works fine, it's OS, firmware, software are all stored on it's internal memory, similar to the ones found on SSDs. SSDs are expensive now, and they offer low storage space for the same amount compared to HDDs. People usually use external HDDs for backup because they offer more storage space for the same amount. But they are slower than SSDs.

I mentioned this on your other thread, SSDs have their PCB and flash memory enclosed within thin plastic, this makes them more susceptible to EMP attacks. Even a low powered EMP would erase or damage them permanently.

SSD uses nand flash memory of the type QLC or TLC, is this type of memory organic or inorganic material? if i have two SSDs one for use and the other one stored ssd reserve, what is saved after years of use will the memories be totally degraded if it is organic making the device useless? does this type of memory automatically degrade even with electronic conservation care?

SSD uses nand flash memory of the type QLC or TLC, is this type of memory organic or inorganic material? if i have two SSDs one for use and the other one stored ssd reserve, what is saved after years of use will the memories be totally degraded if it is organic making the device useless? does this type of memory automatically degrade even with electronic conservation care?

I don't think consumer SSDs available use any organic material. There have been reports of memory flash made with organic material, which are either a novelty product or available only in enterprise market, they being made with organic material will decompose as organic material and become useless.

Technically, organic in the field of electronics means 'containing carbon compounds' so yes, in the strictest sense there could be organic materials in memories but do not be confused by thinking it means it contains or is derived from living things. Almost all memories are made from silicon, nitrogen, oxygen, phosphorus and trace elements but the plastic packaging almost certainly is made from resins containing carbon compounds. Organic content does not in any way reduce lifetime or imply decomposition.

Brian.

If I buy two SSD drives, could I keep one drive for many years without chemical and organic degradation of the QLC or TLC nand flash chips? does the SSD degrade stored unused?

IIRC from articles I've read on the subject, flash erase is what eventually kills the flash cells. Writing doesn't do much to the flash cells and reading does just about nothing to the flash cells. I think it has to do with the duration of the programming voltage used, writing duration is relatively short, but the erase cycle duration is much much longer.

If I buy two SSD drives, could I keep one drive for many years without chemical and organic degradation of the QLC or TLC nand flash chips? does the SSD degrade stored unused?
A QLC or TLC nand flash chip is a silicon logic device, it will last just as long (unpowered) as any other silicon chip that is in a HDD drive or a computer that is sitting in a box on a shelf.

what best brand ssd china aliexpress?

If you live in America and if you buy from China, you will not get warranty, even if the SSD is from a company which has official presence in America, they will refuse to provide you with warranty. And you can never be sure if the product sent to you from China is new or it actually is an SSD.

do you recommend any chinese brand of SSD? none is unreliable?

Kingspec, KingDian, Goldenfir, XrayDisc, KUNUP, Netac, Adata etc

Except Adata I'm not familiar with any of them, Adata is listed as a Taiwanese company.

Status
Not open for further replies.