Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about 2N3904 BJT maximum Vbe and Ib

Status
Not open for further replies.

eem2am

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
BJT max Vbe and Ib

Hello,

Regarding inrush into offline SMPS DC Bus caps………

I have an inrush limiter whereby a FET (M2) is switched on from a 12V power supply , in order to short out the inrush limiting resistor (R22) , after the inrush event at switch-on has taken place.

-the point is that the 2N3904 BJT Q4 gets a base current of 43mA peak during the inrush event.
-is this too much for it?
-the datasheet says nothing of maximum Ib.

also, during the inrush event, the BJT Q4 suffers a Vbe of 1.6V peak.
--is this too high a Vbe for a BJT like 2N3904, -the datasheet says nothing.

here is the schematic:
https://i53.tinypic.com/s14wv8.jpg

…by the way, , Q4 prevents M2 from spuriously turning on when the voltage across R22 suddenly rises.

Re: BJT max Vbe and Ib

-the point is that the 2N3904 BJT Q4 gets a base current of 43mA peak during the inrush event.
-is this too much for it?
-the datasheet says nothing of maximum Ib.
For reliability, I would limit the base current to less than 10...20mA. I think 43mA is a bit on the high side.
also, during the inrush event, the BJT Q4 suffers a Vbe of 1.6V peak.
--is this too high a Vbe for a BJT like 2N3904, -the datasheet says nothinug.
If that's a forward voltage then it's too high. The reverse voltage can be 6 volts according to the datasheet (https://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/2N/2N3904.pdf).
I wasn't able to view this for some reason (401 Authorization Required).

Hi,

though given that this high Ibe and high Vbe only last for around 10ms do you still think it's excessive?

I don't want to add more speculations about unspecified maximum ratings.

But I don't see an actual need for Q4 and the ensemble of parts around it. A simple capacitor in parallel
to R23 would do the same ("prevents M2 from spuriously turning").

Status
Not open for further replies.