Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

question on gain error of a charge scaling dac

Status
Not open for further replies.

wholx

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
gain error of dac

i am simulating a MSB voltage scaling and LSB charge scaling dac with spice. the output has a gain error of 5% and offset error of 0. i wonder how come the gain error.

according to the simulation, the MSB voltage-scaling subDAC worked very well, so the problem is within the LSB subdDAD. the influences of parasitic capacitance and on-resistance are ruled out already. the simulation showed that the initialisation before each conversion has been done as expected. anyone know any other reasons that will produce gain error?

charge scalling dac

have you considered quantization noise?

charge scaling dac

how you define the gain error?

the gain error was around 3%.

i made another test by increasing the Cmin of the charge-scaling subDAC from 1pF to 1nF. the result was good and the gain error decreased to 0.01%. so i guess this means there is a parasitic capacitance in parrallel with the capacitances in the subDAC, am I right? but the question is how come? as i said the output buffer was realised by an ideal amplifier (en element called E from the library), which i guess has no parasitic capacitance.

anyone has any idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.