Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about simple circuit...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Externet

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Good day all.

When the switch is on, 10 Amperes flow trough it.
When the switch is turned off, there is arcing between its contacts.
25.jpg

When the switch is on, 10 Amperes flow trough it.
When the switch is turned off, is there arcing between its contacts ?
10K.jpg

Same, less, more, no... ?

Hi,

I guess in the given idealistic curcuit the arcing can barely recognized.
Arcing often has to do with inductance, maybe stray inductance.

A purely resistive load does not store any energy, it just dissipates electrical energy into heat.
The given 250V DC are too low to cause/keep an arc with length more than a couple of micrometers.

Klaus

The given 250V DC are too low to cause/keep an arc with length more than a couple of micrometers.
That's to establish an arc in free air.
But once an arc is initiated as the contacts open, it takes less than 50V to maintain the arc over a short distance if sufficient current is available, as happens in an arc welder.

I believe, contact arcing can occur at 250V also without circuit inductance. The arc is ignited when the contacts separate and have in fact only micrometer distance.

I agree that stronger arcing is observed with inductive load. 250V/10A DC with purely resistive load is however far above the rating of most smaller switches and relays and can easily destroy it.

Regarding post #1 circuits, the 10 k resistor is directly parallel to a voltage source and can't have any effect besides a small quiescent current.

Status
Not open for further replies.