Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about energy in capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: energy in the capacitor

i did an interesting thing , i tried to simulate such case at orcad and i found that the final voltage is V/2

but how to find where the energy lost i don't know

Please look at the file I uploaded. Try to simulate it and see the energy in the resistor.

the energy is disspated as electromagnetic wave

rachel607 said:
the energy is disspated as electromagnetic wave
In which compnents, in ideal capacitors, or switch?
In reality we can not provid such condition, and in theory (ideal components)
this circuit have not such component to radiate electromagnetic wave.

there is current loop when the second switch connects two capacitors. the transient changing current will result in the magnetic energy according to the Right Hand Rule.

rachel607 said:
there is current loop when the second switch connects two capacitors. the transient changing current will result in the magnetic energy according to the Right Hand Rule.

Notice that with the circuit theory point of view, we have just 2 caps, and one switch (and not transmission line).

This question was explained by a professor recently.
1)If there is a real wire, then half the energy is lost in the wire(which can be modelled as resistor)
2)If there is no real wire(which is never the case) , then the capacitors dont really settle to V/2 and energy sloshes back and forth between the capacitors

A_U_J said:
1)If there is a real wire, then half the energy is lost in the wire(which can be modelled as resistor)
2)If there is no real wire(which is never the case) , then the capacitors dont really settle to V/2 and energy sloshes back and forth between the capacitors

the first case proofed by our simulation

but we need the proof for the second case

we need the freq & amp and dc offsite

A_U_J said:

What is the reason of this clownish A_U_J ?
If you have enough knowledge and better answer to this problem, you can contribute. otherwise ...

If there is no loop, the charges will never move. According to Maxwell equation, changed current in a loop will introduce magnetic change. That will disppate energe.

Status
Not open for further replies.