Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about appropriate excitation port for Capacitor-Inductor Circuit on HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarodcs

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, My name is Oscar and I'm working on a Capacitor - Inductor Circuit on HFSS.

Fisrtly, the attached file "LCcircuit.adsn" (made on ANsoft Designer 8.0.0) shows the LC Circuit.
Capacitance = 10.8434 pF with Q-factor = 30
Inductance = 1.3435 nH with Q-factor = 300

If you run the LinearFrequency sweep on Designer, you will si that de S11 has a sintony over 1.32GHz and S21 has its best value on the same frequency. I need to achieve the same results on a model made on HFSS (file attached "circuit_paralel.hfss".

On "circuit_paralel.hfss", I built a groundplane, then a substrate (ARLON AD1000(tm)) over the groundplane. The 3 orange cables (3 bondwires) simulate 3 inductors in paralel that result being the inductor of 1.3435 nH.
The plate over the substrate simulates the capacitor of 10.8434 pF. The dimensions of the 3 bondwires and the capacitor plate were calculated to achieve the values mentioned.

Please take a look on the two ports of exctiation that I have set up. Both are lumped, and port1 is simulating a coaxial pin excitation that is going to be solded over the little rectangule that is joined to the big plate capacitor. The other excitation port, port2, is at the middle of the plate, simulating to be the point were a inductor cable is going to be solded, this may be little tricky to imagine ... please take a look on "CompleteFilter.hfss". The main idea is to have two LC(in paralel) circuits joined by a LC(in serie) circuit to make a filter.

My question is if it's correct to set up port2 the way I'm doing, in order to get the transfer parameters S11 and S21 of that LC(in paralel) circuit. As I said, my goal is to get the frequency response same as the Designer file.

Thanks in advanced.

Oscar
View attachment files.rar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back