Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question about a transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkisTzortzis

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I would like to make a transformer with a primary winding of 5 Volts RMS and current of 40 Ampere RMS. Its secondary winding ought to be 35 Volts RMS and 4.5 Amps RMS.

I presume that means the turns ratio should be 1:7 (from 5 Volts to 35 Volts) ?

I am not sure how to select the core , would a toroidal be best? And how about the wire? How thick a wire I need to handle 40 Amps on the primary? And how many turns do I need? For example what is the difference between having 10 primary turns and 70 secondary, or 100 primary turns and 700 secondary?

As I need to have 40 Amps flowing through the primary, at 5 Volts RMS, do I take it that the primary winding would need to have a resistance of 0.125 Ohm? How do I go about choosing the right wire and right number of turns to achieve 0.125 Ohm? And how on earth do I measure such a small resistance?

Any help appreciated.

Dont know for thorus, but if you want to use EI transformer, than these are dimensions for your specific application:

S=15cm^2 - surface of the Fe core,
N1=116, number of turns on primary,
N2=17, number of turns on secondary,
d1=4.5mm, on primary, (very tick wire, might be that my calculation is wrong)
d2=1.5mm, on secondary,

As you can see, its big since it is for 200W on primary... These are aproximate values, dont take them for granted...

AkisTzortzis said:
Hello

I would like to make a transformer with a primary winding of 5 Volts RMS and current of 40 Ampere RMS. Its secondary winding ought to be 35 Volts RMS and 4.5 Amps RMS.

I presume that means the turns ratio should be 1:7 (from 5 Volts to 35 Volts) ?

I am not sure how to select the core , would a toroidal be best? And how about .........

You forgot to write the operating frequency?

You want the resistance of the windings on a transformer to be as low as possible so that the output voltage doesn't change much when the load current changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.