Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Quadrature Phase detection module

Status
Not open for further replies.

anum_pirkani

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everyone.

I have been given a task to design 'quadrature phase detection module' for an RF Receiver but i am unable to understand its need and function.

The one i have been asked to design gets two IF signals at its input (sum and difference IF signals). After passing through amplifier and band pass filter each, they are given to the input of a power divider seperately.

One of the divider is simply wilkinson divider generatiing similar phase 2 output signals where as other divider is a quadrature 3db divider whose 2 outputs are 90 degree out of phase.

Next is the phase detector which receives a 0 degree signal and a 90 degree signal (from 3db hybrid divider) output 1 signal which is SIN PHASE DETECTION OUTPUT after amplification
While other phase detector receives two 0 degree signals from dividers to output A COS phase detecting output after amplification.

I am able to understand the working of this circuit, but i cant understand its use. I.e, what role does it plays in the receiver portion and what do we do from the cos and sin output signals.

The receiver is a super-heterodyne receiver.

Waiting for your kind responses.

Regards
Anum Ahmed

Status
Not open for further replies.