Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Q factor of match circuit for complex impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Young_Electronic_00

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I've short question related to Q factor of PI match circuit. I'm quite confused, because in every pdf and book I see matching between resistances. The equation for such case is: Q = sqrt((Rout/Rin)-1). What if i calculate this parameter for Rin=50ohms and Rout = 100+i43 ohms? Should i firstly calculate module for Rout?

Regards,
E.

The calculated value according to your equation is the minimal Q achievable by a matching network. The respective network is a L network. A pi or T-network has generally higher Q.

For those cases where the reactive load component can be absorbed by the L network, you can convert the series impedance circuit 100 + j43 to a parallel circuit 118.5 || j 275.5 and obtain the minimal Q for the parallel R value. It's probably simpler to use a matching network calculator like Impedance Matching Network Designer (sandiego.edu)

FvM Thank you for reply. I sometimes use this website :) Well, I know that for pi and T topologies Q factor can be quite big. I just want to check how complex output impedance change the Q factor so this is the reason why I ask for that. Moreover, i was wondering how to calculate case where Zout is 50 ohms and Zin is 54 ohms. According to cited equation The Q factor will be smaller than 1... as i know such A value has no sense.

I just want to check how complex output impedance change the Q factor
I showed how you find the answer for this particular case. Q = sqrt(118.5/50 -1) = 1.17
Moreover, i was wondering how to calculate case where Zout is 50 ohms and Zin is 54 ohms. According to cited equation The Q factor will be smaller than 1... as i know such A value has no sense.
Just a problem of using the equation beyond it's range of validity. Calculate 54/50 instead of 50/54.

Ok... but if I calculate Q factor for the case 54/50 I'll still have value smaller than unity, right? I mean Q= sqrt((54/50) -1) is about 0.28. I'm wrong? By the way please confirm that I undersand it in proper way - this equation is related only with L network ?

0.28 sounds reasonable. Q of an ideal wide band matching, e.g by transformer is 0, Q = 1 involves limited bandwidth.

Status
Not open for further replies.