Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PSS+PNoise Sample and Hold

Status
Not open for further replies.

fpmkh0

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I have a simple sample and hold circuit. The resistor is 100 ohm, the switch is ideal (Ron=1u, Roff=1T), capacitor is 500fF. If there was no switch and I run a simple noise simulation in virtuoso, for PSD, I see exactly 4KTR in low frequencies with a LPF shape (due to the capacitor), and if I integrate from DC (100Hz) to 1THz, I see exactly KT/C. So everything is as expected.
Now I put the switch in circuit. I clock the switch with a 50% duty cycle clock and frequency is fs=1GHz. I will now have noise folding from every frequency above fs/2 (500MHz) back to the region of 0 to fs/2. I expected that if I integrate the noise from DC to fs/2, I'd see again KT/C. But that's not the case. Shouldn't it be the case? Also, I see that changing the duty cycle of the clock also changes the result (integrated noise from DC to fs/2). I thought it shouldn't be the case. Can someone experienced help me with this? Are my expectations wrong? If yes, what should I expect to see from Pnoise simulation compared to a simple noise (without switch). How can I see the noise folding effect?
For my simulation setup, I put maxacfreq in PSS to be 1THz. And in Pnoise to do over full spectrum.

Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 3.07.47 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 3.06.17 PM.png

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.