Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

procedure to keep good sized drill hole into Orcad 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

manitooo

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
drill holes gerber

Who have ever ask for a solution to print a layer with the right size of the drill hole...

I've found a solution this WE :

1. in Orcad 10, there's a layer name : DRL (not DRD : Drill drawing, but DRL : drill layer) this is the key !
2. In the layer spreadsheet, look at the nickname of the DRL layer (normally : "DRL")
3. In post process settings : click new and type in the selection box : *.DRL
4. Click preview and then choose the right colors as if you would like to print this layer :
> background (all layer ) : white
> default (DRL layer) : Black
5. Select the wanted layers by enabling them for the post processing and chose the GERBER 274 option.
6. Run batch...
7. In the main session of the Layout, run Gerbtool
8. Open the generated gtd file
9. Create a composite layer
10. Add the layer you want to print to this layer so as the DRL layer
11. Choose Clear mode for the DRL layer (by right clicking into its name in the composite layer)
12. when finished, choose convert composite to layer... :)

Tips to get Drill holes information...

1. Click the icon Convert Gerber to drill
2. choose the DRL layer
3. Dcode size to tool size and check "lines" and Targets" boxes... and so it is... :)

enjoy... :)

gerber print drill holes

Thanks a lot! It was very usefull for me. I couldn't imagine that printing a PCB coul be as difficult as designing it! hehe.
I would like to add something to the procedure you have said:
I tried to do it in Orcad 9.1 and it was impossible for me. The GerbTool was very difficult tu use but then I updated to version 10 and it was as easy as you say.
Another thing, very important. I don't know how you could make the *.DRL file for DRL layer.. I tried to do the same but it continued liked to DRD layer.. Finaly I found a solutiong modifying a file with an Hex editor. It's simple and if you do it once you don't have to do it any more.
I explained it here: [/url]

Added after 1 hours 10 minutes:

I will make a tutorial on how to print PCB's with real hole size.
You just have to do it image by image. You have to install Orcad 10.5 (don't know if other works) and any hex editor, for example HexEdit.
Read images from 1.GIF to 17.GIF, they are not in order.

Hi,

when I create the Composite1 layer how to copy the bottom and the drill layer there? I never used Gerbtool.

Thanks,
Dani.

Sorry dude, I has been years that I haven't touch a Gerbtool...
I'll check this out at work if I could found an old tool...

But I could guaranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back