Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Procedure for testing transformer output impedance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freddybaby

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
transformer impedance

I need to determine the output impedance of a high voltage
transformer at say a 4% drop. Anyone have a simple procedure
for this type of test ?

transformer impedance test

If it is not by design then Conduct load test on few samples and cross check with regulation.

try if this simple Equation may help,
Vout of transformer = Vaccross Impedance + V accross Load.

--babesh

transformer short circuit impedance

Why don't you simply apply the usual transformer equivalent circuit in electrical engineering, defined by inductive and resistive short-circuit voltage?

transformer impedance measurement

FvM said:
Why don't you simply apply the usual transformer equivalent circuit in electrical engineering, defined by inductive and resistive short-circuit voltage?

That would be good for an approximation but I need some real world values. I don't know the inductance of the secondary either. Had an interesting problem trying to measure the DCR as well. Meter went into some kind of slow oscillation and gave erroneous results. I used a 4 wire measurement and no problems.

transformer & impedance

In my opinion, short circuit voltage parameters are first choice if you are looking for real real world values. Because it represents the sum of primary and secondary voltage drops, no additional measurements are required normally. I hope, that you can figure out how to perform the measurement with your available measurement equipment.

Freddybaby

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.