Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

PROBLEM with XILINX SPARTAN3 STARTER KIT

Status
Not open for further replies.

javad

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
My Xilinx spartan3 starter kit doen't programmed via its JTAG3 cable. iMPACT says there are many unkown devices on jtag chain when I ask it to initialize JTAG chain.
Chipscope fails on initializing too. I don't know where the problem is. How can I check that FPGA -itself- isn't damaged? How to configure it with another method?

Which ISE Web-Pack do you use ?
Usually unpatched 6.2i will produce the same problems.

/yego

Use webpack 6.3 an the *latest* servicepack (6.3.03). It's a 200MB download so be warned.

Good luck.

This may sound stupid but it worked for me.. If your using the parallel III with jtag i found that the logic inside does not like a 3.3V supply connected to Vcc.. it caused a random number of devices to be detected for each scan, etc..

After i just let the vcc lead hang and only connected the rest the problem disappeared..

jelydonut

Hi,
Please check the configuration mode setting jumpers: M[2:0], if you want to use JTAG to lownload the FPGA, you must set it to "JTAG" mode by these jumper.
You can found what I say in the "user guide", Chapter 9, page36.

Regards

HI !

This problem happened to me Too! it was the same as yours!

Solution for me:
i had Win2000 proff sp2 installed.

1. i changed to winxp proff.
2. installed ise webpack 6.3i
2.1 ATTENTION you have not to install MULTILINX DRIVERS when asked.
CHeck carefully for this before going ahead with installation.Deselect it
in the list of options of installation.
3. go ahead with ise webpack install.
4. Restart as asked ( but in my opinion you may not do this)
5. create bit file with ISE and use IMPACT with automatic check for boundary scan.
6. On board spartan3 on connector J7 only the middle connection should be left the others OFF.
7. Fire your bit with JTAG cable and you're done.

regards maxer

I advice to migrate to JTAG4, less problems and much faster
and still supported from xilinx.

afnam said:
I advice to migrate to JTAG4, less problems and much faster
and still supported from xilinx.
I have a starterkit also , and i would like to get it to function with the included parts
not just upgrade to a newer part.

I actually appreciate the above posts

/Bingo

Status
Not open for further replies.