Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with high noise in a digital speedometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ansh1208

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello everybody....first of all i'll like to tell you I'm not very good in basic electronics. I'm a mechanical guy, but i love doing electronics. I'm trying to make a digital speedometer for my car. I tried this circuit (diagram attached) for feeding the pulse from sensor installled in vehicle to microcontroller. This is working absolutely fine on my Table, but when i try to install it on vehicle the noise is so high the 16x2 alpha-numeric LCD shows abnormal characters & hangs up. I tried putting different capacitors, inductors in sesnsor supply. I even tried placing a MOV but none is helping out. As the source of supply to the circuit & sensor is same I think there's no use placing a opto-coupler? How can i reject this vehicle noise.

Waiting eagerly for your reply & suggestions. Thanks

digital speedometer circuit

Looks like you could use a little filtering on the hall effect output to the transistor. Also, whats the frequency response of the hall sensor ?

Added after 5 minutes:

How long are your wires going from the sensor to the uC ? An opto might be what you need, or possible run the return through a common mode choke, worked for nme with noise issues from long sensor cables.

digital speedometer for car

Connect the sensor to your circuit with a twisted pair of wires and ground your electronics on the clean side of the common mode choke so that the hall sensor and the electronics see a common clean ground point. As suggested in the previous post a small capacitor across the hall sensor output to clean ground may help, try 1nF to start with and increase it a bit if necessary, the data sheet of your hall-effect sensor may help you decide if this is a permitted option.

I hope this helps.
Bob.

schematics digital speedometer

it is a miracle that the design had worked: Q1 has no bias so the output should always be high.

you should figure out a way to bias Q1. The simplest is to put a resistor between Q1's collector and base, and then replace D3 with a resistor. the values will depend on the sensor used and your desired gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.