Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem with 74ls373N as small voltage turns on outputs

Status
Not open for further replies.

stoyanoff

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi! I want to use 74LS373N with a microcontroller(PIC). So I connected the chip to 1 of the ports and I put 4.7k ohms pull-down resistors on every data input of the 74ls. But I have a 0.4-0.5V on every pin and my chart is not working stable. I put 2x 4700uF caps, 1x 100uF and 1x 100nF cap on the power supply. I suppose it`s stable. The problem is this small voltage some how is detected from the chip and it turns on its outputs.
I have connected 7 segment indicator after the 74LS373 and if I manually turn on one of it`s imputs(sometimes) it turns on every 8 outputs.
Can you tell where could be the problem??
Thanks!

Re: problem with 74ls373N

A 4.7 K pull down is probably to high a value for LS chips. Use a lower value or use a HC or AC chip.

From memory the 373 is a latch. Why not use a 374 which is edge triggered.

Re: problem with 74ls373N

The 74LS373 is a transparent latch, pin1 should be low to get a output, and pin 11 should be high to make it transparent, that is for a change of input to change the output. A low on pin 11 will latch the output so that a change on the input will not effect the output.
Why use the 4.7K pull downs? A PIC is more than capable to drive the 74LS373 directly

Status
Not open for further replies.