Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Question on Ethernet

FreshmanNewbie

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Most of our Ethernet PHY/switch devices support Auto-MDIX and Autonegotiation.
So, when a link partner is getting connected to our PHY or a Switch, which of these two phenomenons happens first? Auto-MDIX or Autonegotiation?

My thought is that for Autonegotiation to happens, (which bascially advertises the speed and duplex setting between the partners), the TX and RX connection between the link partners should be aligned and matched first.
So, I believe Auto-MDIX happens first before Autonegotiation. Am I correct?

If the TX and RX between the PHY/Switch and the link partner is not aligned, how will the auto negotiation information be received by the link partner correctly? Because MDIX basically maps TX to RX and vice versa. So, if MDIX doesn't happen first, the auto negotiation info might not get conveyed correctly? Am I correct or missing to understand something?

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: