Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem using R&S CMU300 Radio Communication Tester

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirhosein

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all

I'm a EMC technician in an academical lab and I want to test the functionality of a private land mobile. I am utilizing R&S CMU300 radio communication tester.
The problem is that when I turn on CMU, a message is shown at the start that says: "Please execute FM calibration from maintenance menu",
and when i go to maintenance menu and run FM calibration test, the "generator refused" message is shown.
I can not turn on RF generator either, and no connection to R&S support service can be possible for us due to unfair sanctions dictated to Iran.

Any help to solve this issue is highly appreciated.

Best Regards

I am not familiar with your equipment, so these are merely ideas about possibilities.

* FM normally stands for FM modulation. Therefore does calibration require a carrier only, or does it need to be FM modulated?

* Do you have to choose certain settings? Switches? Dials? Gain? Frequency spectrum? Mode of reception? Etc.

* Can you tune to some FM broadcast, as a substitute?

* Can you attach an external FM generator as a substitute?

I am not familiar with your equipment, so these are merely ideas about possibilities.

* FM normally stands for FM modulation. Therefore does calibration require a carrier only, or does it need to be FM modulated?

* Do you have to choose certain settings? Switches? Dials? Gain? Frequency spectrum? Mode of reception? Etc.

* Can you tune to some FM broadcast, as a substitute?

* Can you attach an external FM generator as a substitute?

Thanks for your reply Brad,
About your questions, I should tell some tips respectively:

* Actually I don't know what CMU does in the FM calibration process. I think it should calibrate carrier frequency first. at the beginning of the test the "Generator refused" is message is shown.

* All the settings that I can change is carrier frequency, FM frequency and FM deviation. I should also determine the power level in dBm.
* I can not use any FM broadcast as a substituition, nor I can use an external FM generator.

FYI, I checked reference frequency of CMU and it works properly. I also used an external reference frequency to be assured about functionality of the PLL and it is working properly, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.