Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Problem related to clock skewing and grouping clocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ludan

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

I'm trying to solve a problem related to clock skewing.
I've two clocks in my design and I know I can specify to the CTS engine of SOC encounter that I want at most X picoseconds of skew tolerated for that clock. This parameter is called MaxSkew in the .cts specification file. So now let's assume I have clock1 with MaxSkew 300ps and clock2 with MaxSkew 500ps, I want to control the maximum skew between the two domains. I can put clock1 and clock2 below ClkGroup command:
ClkGroup
+ clock1
+ clock2

and encounter will try to have their sink meeting the maximum skew as specified in the clock tree specification file (cfr. the documentation).
Does this mean I cannot specify that I want at most 400ps of skew between my two clock domains?
It looks to me as if encounter is considering all the roots as if they were one :-(

Grouping Clocks

If you are putting both the clocks into a ClkGroup that means you want to balance these two clocks. That in turn means you want the clock skew between 2 endpoints within clock1 or between clock1 and clock2 to be as similar as possible. This is what the tool is trying to do here. That is why it appears to u that the tool is considering the 2 roots to be 1. It does not make sense to specify different MaxSkew for the 2 clocks and then put them in the same group. Same grp implies same skew.

Grouping Clocks

yep i agree with saurabh,
U can create two clocks in diff clock groups and specify skew seperatly in the spec file,
if its a sub chip design, u can balance them externally, which will be saving lots of buffer space in the subchip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back