Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ProASIC3 and DDR2 -- STL 1.8v question

Status
Not open for further replies.

domno

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to interface an Actel ProASIC3 FPGA with a DDR2 DRAM chip, at the lowest possible clock speed at 125MHz. I'm still new to hardware design and still have alot to learn, but I am always glad to learn more.

So, my problem is that the ProASIC3 FPGA only supports LVTTL/LVCMOS (1.5V/1.8V/2.5V/3.3V) and LVDS I/O logic interfaces.
I'm reading in the DDR2 datasheets that the single ended I/O used with DDR2 DRAM is SSTL 1.8V -- so I am now wondering if it still is possible to use LVTTL/LVCMOS 1.8V to interface with the DDR2 DRAM, maybe with the help of some passives?

I would really like to use an Actel FPGA so any advice here is welcome.

Thanks!

How about using a LVDS to SSTL level translator - try Pericom or IDT.

yes, this should be possible, as long as the lvcmos IO are fast enough. you can add the terminations extrernally. This probably won't be needed other than for EMI performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back